Tuesday 25 December 2012

Chapter 7


“This better be good. I cancelled a meeting for it and I’m seriously going to hurt you if I did it for nothing,” Sanju said casually as she leaned against the wall. He sat up and looked at her, “You won’t regret it. I promise. I need your help.” Sanjana stood upright stiffening. Her brother was never one to ask anyone for help but after everything he'd been through with the whole Khushi issue this was the last thing she expected. He had secluded himself and was totally isolated from the rest of the family. The only perason he actually spoke to or even interacted with were her, Nani and Di. She walked into the room taking one step at a time almost as if one wrong step would set off a bomb. "I'm listening," she said cautiously. Arnav stood up from where he was sitting and took a deep breath, " I saw Khushi today." He looked at her.  She sat down on the recliner and Arnav sat on the coffee table infront of her. Sanjana exhaled. She knew it was going to happen at sone point. They couldn't avoid each other for the rest of eternity. "It was bound to happen at some point Arnav, but you wanted to see her. Ever since you found out the truth all you've been doing is regretting everything you've done and said to her because you KNOW you were in the wrong and she didn't deserve any of it. You killed her Arnav, you killed her. How can you expect her to just accept you because you came along again? I've been keeping in contact with Shweta and Adi. They said she's not the same Khushi that left Lucknow three years ago to come to Delhi. Shweta knows everything Arnav, I had to tell. Her she needed to know why her friend changed but she also knows the reason behind it and understands your plight. She knows you were both just victims of a huge understanding," she took her brother's hand in hers. He looked up at her with red bloodshot eyes. "I... I need..."Arnav tried to speak. "Shh... You don't need to say anything. I know you better than anyone. I've been with you for twelve years Arnav. I know what you are going through. Everyone else thinks it's just because you can't control your anger and they're still mad at you for throwing her out, but after everything you've done for me how can I not do this for you Arnav. You mean everything to me and you’re the closest thing I have to family. We'll find a way to get Khushi back I promise,” she pulled him in for a hug securing her promise.

 

Khushi had been sitting in the temple with a million questions running through her mind and a thousand emotions flooding her. Understanding was beyond her. Why? Why after all this time does her heart still beat for him? No! She couldn’t open up again. She had healed but the scars were still there. If the wounds reopened they would never heal. She had to finish it once and for all. She stood up, wiped away her tears and walked down the stairs of the mandir determined and confident. She stopped a taxi outside the temple, “Where do you want to go ma’am?” asked the driver. Khushi got into the backseat of the taxi, “Shantivan,” she said and prepared herself for what she was going to do. Fifteen minutes later she stepped out onto the driveway of the Raizada mansion. She walked up to the doorstep and rang the doorbell, her other hand clutching her mangalsutra under her dupatta.

 

Arnav and Sanjana were sitting in the lounge watching tv when they heard the doorbell ring. Sanjana’s eyes were glued to the tv and Arnav was expecting Hariprakash to answer. “Sanju where’s HP?” he asked her trying to catch her attention. “Hmmm.... I sent him home because everyone else is gone for the party at the neighbours,” she replied brushing him off.  He huffed and walked towards the front door. The doorbell rang again. Arnav rolled his eyes and opened the door only to be taken aback, his eyes wide with shock as her name escaped his lips, “Khushi...” It was as if time was frozen and nothing else existed. He stared at her. He noticed she was fiddling with her dupatta – something she always did when she was nervous. A small smile crept up on his face. She looked up at him, her eyes meeting his with equal surprise. He gulped thinking why she would come here unable to come up with even one. “Would you like to come inside?” he asked her softly. She nodded and followed him into the living room where Sanjana was sitting with her eyes still stuck to the tv. Sanjana heard the familiar chime of Khushi’s anklets and immediately turned her attention from the tv to the two figures entering the room. “Well then...” Sanjana said with a this-is-awkward look on her face, “I’m supposed to meet Sameer just now so I’ll just go and get ready.” She smiled at Khushi then left the room with a mischievous smile on her face.

 

Khushi felt a little uneasy when Sanjana left the room. She sat down on the couch opposite Arnav not wanting to get too close. She stopped fiddling with her dupatta, took a deep breath and decided she would start, “Arnav... You’re probably wondering why I’m here after running away from you earlier but it took me some time and I decided I needed to talk to you. I was bound to run into you sometime or the other I guess I just didn’t think it would be this soon. We’ve met more than once Arnav but every time we meet I always seem to be reminded of something that happened between us earlier and I just...” her voice started breaking as tears started forming in her eyes. Arnav walked over to where she was sitting and kneeled down in front of her taking her hand in his. She was surprised because this was the last thing she expected Arnav to do. “I’m sorry Khushi. I know. You don’t have to tell me. It happens to me too but what makes it worse is that I’m responsible for it Khushi. If it wasn’t for me none of this would be happening and you’d be right here with me. Not coming to see me,” Arnav spoke but his tone was soft and he never once looked up at her. Khushi was taken aback by what Arnav had just said. She couldn’t understand any of it. She stood up, Arnav standing up with her but letting go of her hand, “What do you mean if it wasn’t for you? What did you do Arnav?” She had a strange kind of fear in her. She didn’t want to know what he did. It didn’t matter to her, she was nothing to him. But then again she wanted to know why he felt responsible for everything that had been happening recently. Arnav looked up at her for the first time since he spoke and she saw his eyes. Red. “It was my fault. I didn’t trust you. I should’ve listened to you but I didn’t. It was all just a huge misunderstanding Khushi and yet you got punished. You didn’t deserve any of it. Everything I said and did. It was a mistake, something I realised only when it was too late. When you were gone,” he said his voice full of regret and pain. Khushi was still, unmoving except for the tears flowing down her cheeks. Arnav spoke again, “It was Karan and Karan alone. When I found out I tried looking for you but I couldn’t find you anywhere. I know it’s not enough and it’ll never be able to compensate for everything I did Khushi but I’m sorry. I’m really sorry Khushi.”

 

Khushi had lost herself for a moment and wanted to forgive Arnav for everything. She just wanted to be in his arms again where she knew it was safe and nothing and no one could touch her but it wasn’t that easy. She wiped away her tears and stood her ground, “It’s too late Arnav. How do I forgive you for something you did so long ago? Something that ruined everything I had? I can’t and you were right. It was too late then and it’s too late now.” She started walking away from him when he caught hold of her wrist and stopped her. “I know it’s not easy but I’m willing to do anything Khushi. Anything. I can’t take it anymore. It hurts too much to know you’re right here but you’re not with me. Only I know how I’ve lived all this time without you,” Khushi felt her heart shatter with every word he said, “The only thing that kept me alive was the hope that I’d find you one day.” She turned back to look at him and she could see everything. All his pain, the hurt, the regret. “Please Khushi. Please don’t go,” he begged her.

No comments:

Post a Comment